Exploring WIP limits
A few months back I was involved in a highly developer centric project (very unlike my current project). Non-developers were basically only involved and available upon request, so most of the time the team was not very cross-functional.
The team was using Scrum at the time, but the flow obviously had a few glitches and user stories had a tendency to pile in the test column, until very late in the sprint. A huge team effort at the end of the sprint made us finish most of the user stories just in time for demo, but the hurry was at the expense of quality.
It seems to me that most developers prefer starting on a new user story, rather than truly test and complete the ongoing user story. There’s really nothing strange about this, because often the fun part is gone as soon as the problem is solved. In the good old waterfall days, as a consequence to this “law of nature”, none of the features in an entire release might have been tested properly until very late in the project. Needless to say, this didn’t work out very well, and agile emerged to address these problems.
To fully complete ongoing tasks faster, we need to build in mechanisms in the process that enforces us to finish tasks before starting new ones. Iterations (sprints) do this by limiting the number of tasks we can have ongoing during a shorter period of time.
In our case, this didn’t do the trick alone. We shortened the sprints to only one week, and admittedly things got better, but the symptoms were still present. We decided to apply Kanban. First we put a WIP limit of 3 in the test column, later we added WIP limits to other columns as well, to be able to regulate the flow better. To improve the quality on the deliverables, we introduced a rule stating that the person testing a feature must be different from the person developing a feature.
In the beginning, the limits worked more as a guidance than actual rules – just to start changing the mindset from “push” to “pull”. After a while we paid more attention to the WIP limits, and lowered the limit in the test column even more (WIP = 2) to amplify the importance of finishing tasks. This turned out to be artificially low, but it was a great “pull” lesson for the team.
After a while the flow improved and the team effort was more evenly distributed over time. Initially, I thought we might have to “force” people into testing, but our board made it clear what had to be done, and the developers were eager to contribute wherever necessary (an indication of the power of visualization). As a bonus, the number problems we had earlier in the demos went down.
I should probably add that some of the developers took more than their fair share of testing. Over time that could have been an issue we might have had to deal with, but for the short period of time the project was ongoing, it didn’t turn into a problem.
Still, these small changes made a huge difference to us. We no longer had to rush into demos with poorly tested features, and the “boring” parts of process were no longer only at the end of a sprint.